Bhujangasana is also known as cobra pose which is eight steps of Surya Namaskar. This backbend is the resemblance of cobra raising its head.
Cobra pose has numerous health benefits, it strengthens & increases the flexibility of the spine.
As we are stretching the front part of the body, cobra pose tunes the reproductive & digestive systems. Hence, they work more efficiently.
Bhujangasana also tunes four chakras in seven chakras Svadhisthana , Manipura, Anahata & Visuddhi.
Make sure you practise this asana after 4-5 hours of your meals. It is recommended to practise yoga in the morning for more benefits.
Bhujangasana Step by Step Procedure:
Step 1: Extend on the floor facing downwards keep your legs together. Place your hands on the floor under your shoulders and keep your elbows close to your body.
Step 2: Inhaling slowly and come up pressing the palm on the floor. Stretch your head to see the ceiling.
Step 3: Stay in the position for 10s- 30s. Then slowly come back to Lying position.
Beginners Should Know This Tip!!
1. Don’t strain your backbones as it is precious.
2. If your strain you will end up in hurting yourself.
3. Shouldn’t over-do back bending asana, it will make you more flexible.
4. You can improve the bending slowly. Don’t strain your body or go beyond the comfort zone. Days will not be the same so don’t worry if you can’t bend more.
5. After your reach final step just take breath-in & breath-out. It will give you more flexibility to your spine.
Bhujangasana(Cobra Pose) Benefits
• Makes the spine flexible and stronger It tunes the lower abdominal organs.
• Increase the blood flow and keep you fresh.
• Helps to keep your butt in structure.
• It stretches the lungs, chest and abdomen which cures asthma, sciatica etc.
• Helps relieve mild depression and fatigue.
• Regulates metabolism & helps you to maintain your weight.
• It works as a stress relief & keeps stress away from you.
• Stretches muscles in the abdominals, shoulders and chest.
• Reduce the stiffness on your lower back.
• Menstrual irregularities will be improved.
• Opens chest & clears the passage for lungs & heart.
• Helps you to reduce your belly fat.
Precautions And Contraindications:
Avoid this asana if you have any of these problems
1. Shoulder pain
2. Neck pain
4. Back injuries
5. Carpal tunnel syndrome
8. Recent abdominal surgeries
- Urdhva Mukha Svanasana
- Setu Bandhasana Sarvangasana
- Any Backbending asana
Common Mistakes To Avoid
- Leg spacing
- Wrong hand placement
- Trying too hard
- Locking elbows
- Medical problems